From trash to treasure: DIY Dress-er up wardrobe

After Halloween my local children's consignment store had all there Halloween costumes on for $1.00 so I scooped up all kinds of outfits an elephant, witch, a pirate, cowgirl, Indian, and a few more. My daughter loves to dress up so this was the perfect opportunity to give her the chance. The problem with this lovely mountain of costumes was the storage. I thought about making a dress up trunk but I didn't really want an eyesore taking up space in my home so instead I went for my first repurposing project! I found a dresser on the side of the road and turned it into her very own dress up wardrobe.

This is how the dresser looked when we lugged it home from someone's front lawn. It only had three drawers and was a little scratched up. The first thing I did was take out all the drawers and remove the hardware from the sides of the top 3 drawer areas. I decided to keep the bottom drawer for storage so I left that part intact.
 
Next came the sanding and colour selection. I had to sand down the minor scratches to make it even but that took very little work so it was well worth the effort. Then I went to the wallpaper store around the corner from my house. Most of these stores will have a selection of dollar or cheap rolls that are leftover bits or out of season. I got a silvery print that was perfect for what I wanted then I chose my colours around that. I chose a light pink for the main colour and teal for the accent colour. We had the teal and white so we only had to purchase the pink so that was another score.  My hubby thought it would be cute to add white specs over top of the teal so we stood back far enough for the spray paint to just reach. We first did the teal then the white (which were both spray paint) Then the pink after which was a roll on. One of the reasons I liked this pink paint was that it had a heavy white base so it covered the red really well. It took two coats. We then Measured and cut the wallpaper to fit the side cutouts which were naturally on the inside of the dresser and the back panel. This being my first project I tried to leave a little extra when I cut the panels because its not easy get it bang on even measuring a few times and its better to leave it long then make it too small right away.
 
It was then at this stage when I started to think ok I can do this! my husband cut me a piece of white quartz at work to go over the drawer part but your can easily and cost effectively use a piece of particle board or plywood and then paint it to match your theme. I took a wooden curtain rod I randomly had in my basement and cut it to size to use as a closet rod and it was perfect I secured it with screws drilled into the inside so it didn't leave holes or screw heads on the exterior then it was time for final touches!! I used screw hooks on either side of the interior for hanging purses and necklaces and my aunt made up a décor sticker that was perfect for my daughter for the side. I'm still looking for the perfect little mirror to go on the outside of the other side but for now I absolutely love it! We loaded it up with princess dresses I got on sale and the costumes I picked up and voila it was an amazing Christmas present for my daughter and very cost effective!
 



I hope you enjoyed and can see how easy it is to DIY! And don't forget....
 
 

Comments